Eggs are my favorite food. I put them on most entrees and side dishes, pasta, pizza, burgers, or plain asparagus. Bottom-line… I put them on everything… everything. Fried or poached eggs are nice, but once a week I try something new for my ongoing egg experiment. This morning I made AHP Baked Eggs & Peppers. I have baked eggs a million ways. They’re great baked in potatoes, tomatoes, or sauce… but peppers are my favorite.
AHP Baked Eggs & Peppers
approximately 40–45 minutes
- bell peppers: 2 (I prefer any but green.)
- beef pastrami: 1 pound (depends on pepper size)
- grape seed oil: 1T (not need if pastrami is fatty)
- garlic: 2 cloves
- eggs: 8
- shredded parmesan cheese: sprinkle as desired
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- dutch oven
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut bell peppers lengthwise and remove seeds. You can also cut off the top to make a little bowl but I have found that the ratio is off with too much pepper.
- Place peppers in dutch oven, season with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Cube beef pastrami and mince garlic. Pastrami is highly seasoned so it probably won’t need any salt and pepper, but taste to confirm.
- Saute pastrami and garlic in grapeseed oil until browned.
- Remove peppers from oven.
- Drain liquid from peppers.
- Add a scoop of pastrami, then 2 eggs in each pepper. Season eggs with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place stuffed peppers in dutch oven with lid and bake for 20 minutes.
- If you desire sprinkle parmesan cheese sprinkle over top a cook for the remaining 5 minutes with no top.
- Check periodically, once whites are set, the dish is done.