Babies are the dirtiest beings on the planet. I know you probably disagree with me. I have a lot of mom friends and not one of them agrees with my premise… I am not sure why! Babies poop and pee on themselves all day long. I know if any of my “adult friends” relived themselves in their undergarments they would take a shower, but for some reason there is a disconnect for babies. Going to the bathroom in ones pants is part of being human in the early stages of life. I would change my babies diapers for the rest of their lives if circumstances required. Yet, it doesn’t mean I have to pretend that pooping in one’s pants is a “clean” action. I know bathing a baby every time they poop is not an option. But it is possible to properly cleanse their butts throughout the day.
I wash my baby’s butt as part of every diaper change. True cleansing is not achieved with wipes, even when they pee. A babies butt will be cleaner using wipes than if not at all. I can tell you, on days when my baby has been without the wonderful spray, by end of day, her diaper area region smells like death.
A while back, a large retailer stopped carrying the butt spray I used for my daughter. Amazon was out of stock and the company didn’t sell the spray on their website, just through retailers. I was so frustrated. I thought, Why am I buying this expensive product? I could be making it. It would be organic, healthy, probably better and I would never have to worry about stock issues again.
I read and tried many recipes for homemade butt sprays. They were all failures. Some used shampoo. A sudsy soap is a silly proposition. I didn’t try those. I might as well have given them a bath. Most used lavender, yuck. Some recipes seemed random and not thoughtful, they had ingredients that would promote yeast growth or could be harsh on a baby’s skin after frequent use and were not worth trying. I decided to come up with my own recipe. Every ingredient has a purpose and it smells like fresh citrus. AHP Baby Butt Spray Fresh Citrus is gentle, cleanses and also has yeast fighting properties!
AHP Baby Butt Spray Fresh Citrus
- 4 ounce spray bottle
- glass liquid measuring cup
- witch hazel: 2 ounces
- grapeseed oil: 2T
- Bragg’s Certified Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar: 1T
- tea tree oil: 4-6 drops
- grapefruit oil: 4 drops
- distilled water
- Why witch hazel? Witch-hazel is one of those “miracle” ingredients: an astringent, anti-oxidant, it’s cooling and calming, and a natural pain reliever. It has a plethora of other benefits, like all the ingredients in the AHP Baby Butt Spray, but only mentioning those relevant to you baby’s butt care.
- Grapeseed oil has linoleic acid which can aid in treatment of many skin conditions and speed up cell repair. It is also moisturizing.
- Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is amazing. It’s so phenomenal, this site has an entire section devoted to it! For this recipe it has many benefits, but my concern was its ability to kill yeast.
- Tea tree oil, not really my thing, but everyone wants it in a butt spray. It has antiseptic properties.
- Grapefruit oil, my favorite part. It smells good and masks strong odors like vinegar and tea tree, you won’t smell anything but amazing.