There is nothing better than a holiday drink to really suck one into the festive atmosphere. But does anyone really want to drink a pre-made carton of cold eggs and cream? I don’t. What I do long to drink is a beverage made at home by someone I love. One of sweetened cream, freshly grated spices, and a nip of cognac. A drink I’ll crave after winter has passed and who’s memories will have me drinking up the sentimentality of years past. The thought of AHP Homemade Eggnog will have you waiting in anticipation for the wonderful time of year to return again. A joyous time of bad movies, roaring fires, the smell of pine, socializing and the pick-me-up of fanciful decorations to transport you to a simpler time in history. Yes, there are eggs in this marvelous recipe, but they are cooked!
If you want to start a tradition of making homemade eggnog that your family will remember (minus the liquor for little ones) for years to come at every annual family Christmas reunion, you’ve gotta try this stuff.
AHP Homemade Eggnog
- eggs: 6 large
- sugar: 1 c
- whole milk: 1–1/2 c
- heavy cream: 1 c
- freshly grated nutmeg: 1/2 t
- cinnamon: 1 t
- cognac: 1 c
- candy canes: 4 regular
- stand mixer or hand mixer
- Separate the eggs yolks and whites into two separate bowls.
- Place egg yolks in the stand mixer and beat until they have lightened to a soft yellow color. Will take about a minute.
- Add sugar to the yolks and beat until well combined and all sugar has dissolved.
- Combine whole milk, heavy cream, freshly grated nutmeg and cinnamon in a saucepan over high heat.
- Stir the dairy mixture and bring to a boil. Then remove from heat immediately.
- Temper the cream mixture into the egg mix.
- Return concoction to heat and cook until mix reaches 160 degrees.
- Add liquor.
- Let the mix cool in refrigerator if you want. I know it’s not traditional… I prefer mine warm!
- If you like warm eggnog, then place egg whites and 2T of sugar in stand mixer and beat until they reach stiff peeks.
- Fold egg whites into eggnog. If you like yours chilled add egg whites after the mixture has chilled.
- Crush candy canes.
- Add a bit of water to the rim of your favorite Christmas mug than coat with crushed candy.
- Top each serving of eggnog with freshly ground nutmeg and a bit of ground cinnamon if desired.