Today is Labor Day. So lets make a drink and toast to all those who helped make our country great! I know Labor Day is not the official end of summer, we have a few more weeks to-go. Yet, the kids are back in school and the holiday usually signals a return to the reality of life. Today, will probably include the last summer barbecue, and the final weekend that everyone is available at once to have a beer and relax until Thanksgiving. If you are grasping on tight to summer, say farewell with my AHP Labor Day Cocktail. The refreshing crisp citrus drink will transport you back to June one last time.
AHP Labor Day Cocktail
- Campari: 1 part
- AHP Grapefruit Simple Syrup: 1 part
- Shaken, not stirred, garnish if you wish.
AHP Grapefruit Simple Syrup
- fresh squeezed grapefruit juice: 1 cup, about 2 fruits worth
- sugar: 2 c
- water: 1 c
- In a large saucepan whisk together ingredients on medium/ high heat.
- Once sugar has dissolved or come to a rolling bowl turn heat off.
- Let AHP Grapefruit Simple Syrup cool for 10 minutes.
Before you run for the hills now that I have mentioned Campari, please give this light summer drink a chance. I am not asking you to drink Campari on the rocks like my Italian husband who savors every bitter sip. The AHP Grapefruit Simple Syrup will add a wonderful sweetness to the classically bitter Italian drink.