If you’re a parent or school teacher that is interested in teaching your children to repurpose, reuse and recycle, or maybe you just need some craft ideas, AHP Recycled Jewelry is a fun activity for toddlers and kindergarteners alike. Although I am not a huge fan of pre-made processed food, I do purchase fruit pouches sometimes for on-the-go or during busy times in my life like having a new baby! Thinking I could probably figure out a cute craft idea to use all the disposable fruit pouch tops, I stopped discarding them a while back… and I am glad I did. My girls had a great time making jewelry with pasta and the giant plastic tops!
AHP Recycled Jewelry
- plastic fruit pouch tops
- string or craft necklaces
- string-able pasta
- Gather items for craft.
- Color pasta pieces with washable markers or keep them plain if you like.
- String craft necklaces with pasta and fruit pouch tops.
- If you choose to use a thicker string, for example a nylon paracord, you can tie knots on either side of each “bead” and create interesting spaced designs.
- This activity was prompted by a talk I had with my 5-year-old regarding food waste. Although saving fruit pouch tops is not an exact parallel, the fun necklaces has started a dialogue about waste, repurposing and recycling.