I love chicken salad. It can be made in advance; enjoyed for breakfast, lunch or dinner; used as a topping or a stuffing, and can also stand alone brilliantly. Although, chicken salad is an amazing classic dish, I am getting a little bored of the mayonnaise, celery and onion routine. So, I decided to do a little remix for A Hundred Pockets! Try my AHP Sweet & Spicy Chicken Salad, it defiantly takes the classic up a notch!
This recipe is what I call family style. I never make just one serving of chicken salad. The leftovers, if any, get stashed in the fridge for the next couple days. My family sometimes partakes in additional sandwich eating, but most of the time we use the dressed chicken in other dishes. You can cook the chicken salad in your morning omelet or eat cold as a midnight snack.
- chicken: 2 pounds
- kosher salt: 2T
- ground black pepper: 2T
- Sriracha sauce: 1/2 c
- mayonnaise: 1/2 c
- Marionberry jelly: 1/2 c
- dried cranberries: 3/4 c
- pecans: 1/2 c
- brioche bread: 1 to 2 loafs
- avocado: 4
- cast-iron lid
- grilling tongs
- Season chicken with 1T kosher salt and 1T ground black pepper.
- Place chicken on a rack or plate. Allow the meat to reach room temperature before grilling, about a half an hour.
- Grill chicken for 10 minutes under direct heat. If the meat is fully cooked remove from the grill. If not move chicken away from the fire and place under a cast iron skillet lid for additional 2–5 minutes.
- Once chicken is fully cooked. Remove from gill and chop chicken into bite size pieces.
- In a medium bowl mix together the additional salt and pepper,
- In a large bowl mix together chicken, Sriracha sauce, mayonnaise, Marionberry jelly, dried cranberries and pecans.
- Once the wet ingredients are cully combined add chicken a little at a time to incorporate the sauce.
- Slice brioche bread into 1 inch slices.
- Construct sandwich, place a half of sliced avocado on top.