A butter cake covered in an abundance of sugar and milk… whats not to like?! This recipe is AHP’s solution to Tres Leche cake, food hack style. The dessert probably isn’t prepared the way your mom made it, but I assure you it’s delicious. AHP Tres Leche is a food hack, so you’ll need fewer ingredients and its easy! This cake is appropriate to eat at all times of the day. Grab some coffee or a margarita and let’s eat some cake!
AHP Tres Leches Food Hack
- eggs: 3
- vanilla: 1T
- salted butter: 8T
- sour cream: 1c
- Duncan Hines Classic Yellow Cake: 1 box
- evaporated milk: 1 can, 12 ounces
- half and half: 1c
- sweetened condensed milk: 1 can, 14-ounces
- dark rum: 3T
- hand mixer
- 13X9 inch glass baking dish
- parchment paper
- Do not follow directions on the box, just use the mix!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking dish with parchment paper. The cake will not stick to the dish but I prefer almost no clean-up.
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla and a cup of water in a large bowl until the mixture starts to foam. Then set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter on low heat.
- One butter has completely melted, remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add 1c sour cream to butter and whisk until well combined.
- Add the butter/sour cream to the egg mixture.
- Slowly incorporate Duncan Hines Classic Yellow mix to the liquid ingredients using a hand mixer. It’s ok if there are some lumps.
- Pour in baking dish and place in the center of the oven rack.
- Bake cake for 25–30 minutes.
- Let cake cool for 30 minutes.
- Poke tons of holes all over the cake and let cool for an additional 30 minutes.
- While cake is cooling, mix together glaze.
- Mix together evaporated milk, half and half, sweetened condensed milk and dark rum.
- Once cake has finished cooling pour glaze on top of the cake.
- Let cake marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
Let’s fancify the food coming out of your kitchen.
The recipes in this section probably won’t be organic but they will be tasty. A food hacks base is centered around a pre-made element or boxed item but will have a twist. The twist allows what could be a boring or bland dish to become something that you wouldn’t be ashamed to serve to a chief! These recipes are easy yet wonderful and can be made on any budget. Food hacks allow an individual who may not be particularly inclined in the kitchen to provide fabulous meals, snacks or desserts to family and friends, without all the nerves and fuss. They are also great for people who just don’t have the time to make everything from scratch.