Is your toddler adding “y” to the end of his words?

ASK, BABY, PARENTING, TODDLER

ahp-image-ask-Is_your_toddler_adding_y_to_the_end_of_his_words

Is your toddler adding “y” to the end of his/her words? If you have wondered why, there are a few potential possibilities. You may have already scoured the internet and read articles or threads on the topic… they have probably accused you of using “baby talk” around your children. If you have never used “baby talk,” (neither have I) and your child/children have started adding “y” to the end of their words, there is another reason that is highly likely… one not to be concerned with. Both my children stared adding “y” to some of their words sometime around their second birthday. They were adding the extension intentionally. My youngest says the word pink all day long, 80% of the time she says pink accurately the other 20% of the time she adds “y.” They are adding “y” because the want everything to be cute. The English language uses the diminutive in grammar indicating smallness, affection etc., which is commonly achieved by adding “y” to a word to make it dainty, cute or adorable. 


Disclaimer

I am not the authority on any topic asked in this forum. For questions that may have medical implications, please consult your doctor or midwife. The purpose of this section of the site is to provide support, help, or a sounding board for individuals. Whether a person is going through struggles, would like to know they’re not alone, or find out which bottle worked best for my children, I will do my best to answer. There are going to be many ways to reply to all questions posted. I am merely providing my perspective. This forum is not meant for debate.

Previous Post Next Post

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply

Pin It on Pinterest