A baked sweet potato needs no accoutrements, served on its own with no more than a pad of butter and a toss of salt is heavenly. If you shy away from making these little gems for fear of ending up with a charred underdone rock, follow these simple instructions and get it right every time. You won’t be able to get enough, I had two yesterday!
45 – 60 minutes
As many as you bake!
- aluminum foil or baking sheet
- sweet potatoes/yams: medium to large
- olive oil: to coat
- butter: 1 to 2 T per potato
- kosher salt or brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place oven racks: one in the middle and the other on the bottom of the oven.
- Set aluminum foil or baking sheet on the bottom rack to catch the drippings.
- Wash sweet potatoes/yams and pat dry.
- Stab sweet potatoes with a fork everywhere.
- Coat sweet potatoes with olive oil. I find it easiest to drizzle the oil and apply evenly with my hands.
- Place sweet potatoes directly on the middle oven rack.
- Bake a medium to large potato for 45 minutes to an hour.
- Serve with a tablespoon of butter and some kosher salt or brown sugar.